Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Theory of a Deadman (Rock on the Range 2010)

MsBrandyRock: Now, I was looking at the band’s website and it’s been a while since I have seen the band live and I’m actually going to miss Theory of A Deadman today because I have other interviews going on. However, I saw beside the band’s logo the definition of heaven, is there significance in that?

Dean Back: I have no idea. I think that was just the artistic guy who put the website together. I’ll have to check it out I haven’t been on our website in a long time.

MsBrandyRock: Well, I think it’s in more than one place and it’s always right beside the logo.

Dean Back: Oh really?

MsBrandyRock: It says ‘a place or state of supreme happiness, she made his life heaven on earth’. So I didn’t know if that was in reference to the band’s name.

Dean Back: I think you are looking into it further than what we did.

MsBrandyRock: Ok, ‘Bad Girlfriend’ it was a big hit. To me it seems like it has been done a lot and I’m sure you may have heard that before. So I just want you to change my mind on that.

Dean Back: Right. Well I don’t know. That song was written 3, 4 years ago, so it’s just Tyler writing about his experience with meeting his wife. I don’t think there was a pre-conceived notion of trying to write something that has already been written. Ya know, it’s something that Tyler wrote from his heart. It’s true to him.

MsBrandyRock: Are you involved with any of the song writing or music writing?

Dean Back: Every song is different. There is collaboration between the three of us. Tyler writes the lyrics. There are ideas sent back and forth via email.

MsBrandyRock: My favorite song from Theory of A Deadman is ‘Nothing Could Come Between Us’ I know that’s an older song, but the reason why I like it is because I live in South Carolina now and I heard that song on the radio and that’s why I looked the band up because it mentions South Carolina.

Dean Back: Right.

MsBrandyRock: Is it based on a true story? Is it based on someone driving back and forth to South Carolina?

Dean Back: No, I think that was more just Tyler writing a song. We are also influenced by southern rock and roll like Lynard Skynard and that kind of stuff and that was just Tyler trying to connect the idea of the south and he was using it as a literary term. But no we didn’t know anyone from South Carolina. We’ve never been to South Carolina.

MsBrandyRock: No you have.

Dean Back: Not when the song was written.

MsBrandyRock: I think you were at Headliners in Columbia, South Carolina before it closed. But like 3 years ago you were supposed to be headlining the St. Patty’s Day Festival. But it got rained out.

Dean Back: Yeah. We were there. That was gonna be the very first show of ‘Scars and Souvenirs’ tour. 2008 or 2007 I don’t know. But, it was a long time ago. 4 Points or something?

MsBrandyRock: 5 Points. And I think you were rescheduled to come back I think with Black Stone Cherry.

Dean Back: Yeah we played a club.

MsBrandyRock: Have you ever heard of the music site Tunelab?

Dean Back. No.

MsBrandyRock: Well, my friend nICK he writes CD reviews for that site and he said “ ‘Bad Girlfriend’ is a guilty pleasure”.

Dean Back: Yep.

MsBrandyRock: He also went on to say you were “modern rock titans” concerning the latest CD because he said a number of “ballads could make waves at crossover radio stations”. Was that what Theory of a Deadman was thinking about?

Dean Back: No, when you write a ballad, when Tyler gets in the mood, he is a great ballad writer and writes beautiful stuff. And I think every band’s goal is to reach as many people as possible. We are still a rock band and will always be. Rock guys have hearts too.

MsBrandyRock: Yeah, even harder bands have slower songs even like Killswitch Engage.

Dean Back: Yeah, it’s like Corey Taylor has created a different thing.

MsBrandyRock: Kinda like the 80’s.

Dean Back: Yeah absolutely. Get the girls to the shows.

MsBrandyRock: What is Theory of a Deadman’s history prior to meeting Chad Kroeger of Nickleback? Were you playing local bars?

Dean Back: No, not at all. We were writing songs, working on our song writing craft. We played in a basement. We never played live. One of the big showcases for record labels was one of our first shows ever. We had records labels fly in from New York and Los Angeles to watch us play in the basement.

MsBrandyRock: Well, I’m sure you have played in other bands before. Was it kind of weird that it happened like that?

Dean Back: I mean, ya know, yeah. As soon as Chad decided that he wanted to start his own record company, it was only going to be a Canadian record company, so we wanted an American label as well. So we had about 5 or 6 record labels come and watch us play. We quit our jobs and things happened pretty quickly. Ya know, it has still been a gradual build to get to the place we are now.

MsBrandyRock: Do you think it would have happened as fast without him hearing your music?

Dean Back: No. We definitely owe him a lot. He gave us our shot.

MsBrandyRock: The Olympics this past year were you nervous about playing that?

Dean Back: Only because it is out of our comfort zone. To be playing in front of a television crowd, they had their own production, so they had a lot of things. We play 6 nights a week and we have everything down the way we like it. But when you put in a different production company, things aren’t how you are used to. And you are relying upon people you don’t know. So it was more about what could go wrong, then actually playing in front of 2 million people at home and 60,000 people in the stadium.

MsBrandyRock: Was it like a big deal though, since it was your home country?

Dean Back: Yeah, absolutely. Very big deal, very big honor.

MsBrandyRock: Was it something you were looking at doing or did someonr contact you?

Dean Back: The Olympic Committee called us. We were like, yes, yes. Just a great honor, a lot of fun. Great memory.

MsBrandyRock: Who was your first tour with?

Dean Back: 3 Doors Down. As soon as we came out in 2002 they were awesome to us, took us over to Europe. They treated us really well.

MsBrandyRock: Who are you most looking forward to seeing play today?

Dean Back: Slash, oh yeah for sure. I grew up listening to Guns N Roses, one of my main influences to playing live music.

MsBrandyRock: Have you ever seen him before?

Dean Back: Oh yeah, I’ve seen him before. Slash’s Snakepit came through Vancover in 1995. Hung outside his tour bus waiting for him, he came out and signed some autographs for me.

MsBrandyRock: Do you know who’s playing with him today?

Dean Back: Yeah, our old drummer is actually his drummer, Brent Fitz, who drummed with us and toured with us for ‘Gasoline’

*************************************************************************************

Press Pass from Brian Cade Photography at Muen Magazine.

Special thanks to nICK.

No comments:

Post a Comment