Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Airbourne (Rock on the Range 2010)

This interview is far from earth shattering status and I am very much aware of this.  It was very rushed at this point of time in the media tent and it was also very loud.  I know people that can say this is fact because they were doing interviews with members from Airbourne at the same time.  I will be interested to see if my media tent buddy Luie from  http://www.splattertribe.tv/ even posts his.  He gave me a shout out on the site a while back so this shout out is way past due. 


MsBrandyRock: I just wanted to let you know I am representing Muen Magazine and if you haven’t heard of them, they keep up with a lot of the ‘underground’ bands and help bands network through their street team. Have you ever heard of Taddy Porter? They played the festival yesterday on a smaller stage.

Joel: Okay, cool, nah.

MsBrandyRock: They are from Oklahoma. I don’t know them but, their music, its like old rock, more so 70’s and I think that you would like their music.

Joel: I will check them out.

MsBrandyRock: How old are you, are you allowed to tell me that?

Joel: 26

MsBrandyRock: Ok it says on the site that everyone is between 19 and 23.

Joel: Yeah we haven’t updated it.

MsBrandyRock: When you got signed to Capital and that fell through do you feel like that was a blessing in disguise?

Joel: Yeah…I do….yeah its like things work out, ya know?

MsBrandyRock: All of the bigger tours you have been on, like with the Rolling Stones, did that happen before or after Capital came across Airbourne?

Joel: Before.

MsBrandyRock: What do you think about bands that do not write their own music?

Joel: Each to their own.

MsBrandyRock: Airbourne has a lot of upcoming dates in Europe and you have played a lot there in the past, being an outsider, do you think there is a difference between music fans in the United States and Europe? Do you see a difference in the crowds overseas, are they more involved?

Joel: Well, today for example, there was a circle pit, crowd surfing, same thing going on over there. People come to drink; people come to drink over there. I find it similar.


MsBrandyRock: Now you’re from a small town in Australia that I can’t pronounce, how many kids were in your school?

Joel: ahh about 500.

MsBrandyRock: Really? That’s about as small as my school in Pennsylvania. So being from that small of a town, did you ever expect to be playing shows this size?

Joel: I mean, when you start out you just want to get out there and play. You don’t think too far ahead. You don’t think oh your going to be over here on the other side of the world.

MsBrandyRock: Now, I now you just toured Canada with Motley Crue. What has been your favorite tour so far, the one that was unforgettable?

Joel: A tour we did with Motorhead and Rose Tattoo in Australia.

MsBrandyRock: When you were recording the CD you slept in the studio, why?

Joel: We like to be where the action is. We used to live together in a house.

MsBrandyRock: Were you really on welfare for three years when you were trying to make a go of the band because you would have been playing shows. How did you get away with that?

Joel: Yeah, yeah. A lot of smoke and mirrors.

MsBrandyRock: Have you ever played in the state of Pennsylvania? Have you heard of the football team the Pittsburgh Steelers?

Joel: Yes, Yeah.

MsBrandyRock: Your song, ‘Steel Town’. They need to use that song.

Joel: Yeah they gotta use that song.

MsBrandyRock: You need to make that happen. The city of Pittsburgh, that is what it was founded on.

Joel: We will have to send it over.

MsBrandyRock: Yeah, they would love it. They would probably make it their anthem.

MsBrandyRock: Ok well, I am all about the live show and this was my first time seeing ya’ll live and I was exited about that.

Joel: Aww, well thank you.

MsBrandyRock: Ok originally I was told the interview was going to be with you, then it changed, and now you are sitting here. So I did find out about the book that is coming out in October. What is up with that?
Joel: A good mate of mine Paul Miles, he is releasing a book called ‘Sex Tips from Rock Stars’. He has this big list of big name dudes. It will be a funny book.



Press Pass courtesy Brian Cade Photography at Muen Magazine.

Thanks to Luie too!

No comments:

Post a Comment